3. September 2009 21:40
For more tips like this, LIVE and IN PERSON, come see us at the MSDN Roadshow !
How do you set up multiple devices on a mesh? At this point you have read the first Windows Live tip: Why Mesh? and now you are convinced that you need Mesh. You’ll need a Live ID (usually a hotmail, msn or live account) to login to mesh site. This is the 2nd in a series of Windows Live tips that cover how you can leverage the power of the desktop, with the reach of web based services.
Setting up your very own Mesh
Once you sign in, you’ll see your desktop (You won’t see as many machines as I do, naturally):
- Click on the big Plus sign – Add Device.
- Choose your operating system from the drop down. Although it says XP, Vista, it will work on Windows7 beta. And note, there is support for Mac. You can read more about the support for the different Mac Operating Systems on the Live Mesh blog. You’ll also see support for mobile phones (more on that later).
- You’ll be prompted to run the LiveMesh install executable. Choose Run to install the program. You will see a little blue icon pop up in your system tray, with a bubble indicating that Mesh is being prepared for use.
- Once installed, you’ll need to sign your desktop in to connect with the services in the Cloud. Click the Sign In button.
- Give your computer a name to differentiate it from all the other computers on your Mesh, and click the button Add device :
- Once your device connects, your system tray will light up notifying you that the device has been successfully added: That’s it. You are setup. Next we will cover how you set up folders for synchronization.